Sunday, February 5, 2012

Blog Post #2

Did You Know?

Wow! Those facts were pretty mind blowing. I'm really not looking forward to the day when we all need to be bilingual just to make it through the week. People refuse to believe that the English language may not be the most-widely spoken language forever. Eventually, another nationality will exceed that of English speaking people and their language will reign supreme.
I can't believe what a sensation YouTube actually is. I didn't realize how popular it was until I read how many people use it. I REALIZED HOW OFTEN I USE IT! I've learned how to braid hair, sew a cross-stitch, hem a pair of pants, apply makeup and even fix a watch just from watching videos on YouTube. What an informative video!

Mr.Winkle Wakes

SO CUTE! But how scary for poor Mr. Winkle. I laughed when Mr.Winkle recognized his familiarity with the school. It's been the same as 100 years ago! Dusty. Such an appropriate word to describe our education system. Maybe it's time to wash the curtains of education and open them up. We need to shine some light on our students and not be so partial to just using books. Computers are going to be a major part of our lives for the rest of human existence whether we like it or not. We might as well embrace it and let technology expand the intellect of our children.
I know that computers can be scary for older generations. I've grown up with computers and can't remember a time without one. Even being born into technology, I still am not familiar with everything a computer can do, especially when it comes to using it to educate others. I think that teachers should try and become familiar with desktops, notebooks, and tablets because our children are going to have to know how to operate these devices when they are launched into the real world. It's not fair to deprive the kids of this knowledge because teachers are too scared or lazy to try and learn. You can't be either of those to be a successful educator anyway, so it's a shame that those type of teachers exist.

Importance of Creativity

Education is supposed to take us into a future we can't grasp. No one knows what the world looks like in five years yet we are supposed to be educated for it. I feel like we are always behind. We are so afraid of being wrong that we still use the same system of learning and refuse to change it. When we do make a change, it's so small that the impact is almost invisible.
Sir Robinson makes a very valid point when he says children are not afraid to make mistakes or to be wrong. They become creative when they can't remember the exact answer. We teach them to be afraid of being wrong because we offer punishments. So instead of trying and failing, they simply don't try because they are AFRAID of being wrong.
It is important to incorporate arts into school. We've lost almost all connection with creativity in the school system. Our education techniques are bland and do not cater to today's society. We are so focused on passing tests and trying to satisfy the politics in education that we lose the ability to kindle the creativity our children try to express. Instead, we suppress that creativeness so we can concentrate more on exam scores.

A Vision in 21st Century Learning

THIS IS HOW PEOPLE LIVE THEIR LIVES. SURROUNDED BY TECHNOLOGY; USING TECHNOLOGY! So why are we taking so long to incorporate that into our teaching? I know many teachers who want to embrace this kind of learning but can't because of the red tape that exists in the school systems.
They are afraid to break the rules or simply do not have the resources. Students are still being taught by sitting them in desks and making them sit in front of a lecture. There is a time and place for that but we need to exchange lectures and textbooks with interaction and technology.

Harness Your Students Digital Smarts

Vicki Davis is an inspiration. She really tries to teach her students how to LEARN how to LEARN. She is helping her students become comfortable with technology. I like the hands-on approach and their is no burp back education. They use their brains because she helps them learn how to figure things out. She even stated that she learns things from them.
It's not all about teaching the students. It is a learning experience for everyone. I am a hands-on type of learner and I do three times as well in a chemistry lab than I do in actual chemistry class because I handle and actually make what I am studying. Another example would be math. When I was in third grade, I learned how to do long division through a computer game. I was quick and efficient because I was using my hands, my brain and my ears. I engaged more than one sense. Ms. Davis is truly inspiring.

3 comments:

  1. I enjoyed reading you're blog post, you do a great job in developing a well-rounded opinion on many of the posts. I reviewed the document several times and found that mistakes were few and far between. All of your grammer aspects seemed very sufficient and I enjoyed the way you stress certain points. keep up the good work!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Emily,

    One of the first things I noticed when I came to read your post was the pretty background of your blog. I kept getting distracted, haha! Anyway, I do have to mention that it's a little difficult reading your posts because of the light colored text on the clear background. I think that if you tweak the post background a little (under layout, advanced options) you should be able to adjust the opacity so that readers won't have as much trouble trying to discern the text from the pretty background image. :)

    Now, as for the post itself, I was impressed with your fluency in writing your responses. You used colorful language and openly expressed your feelings about the topics under discussion. One thing you could do differently is to include the links to the videos or websites that you are discussing in your post. That way other readers who may not know what you are talking about so animatedly can click over and see for themselves.

    In summation, great work!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Terrell, thanks for the good review!

    Bailey, very instructive. I did not consider how "loud" my background appeared. I will adjust it. THANKS!

    ReplyDelete