Sunday, February 19, 2012

Blog Post #4

1st Graders Create Their Own Read-Along Audiobook

This was so cool! I can't wait to do this with my own students. Making the audiobook didn't sound very difficult and would probably be simple for the students to try once they get the hang of it. I like the script that was created along with it. While they are improving their listening skills, they are also working on their reading and their ability to keep up. This is an excellent idea! The students seemed very engaged and even experimented with their voices.

Listening Comprehension Podcast

I found this post to be an excellent example of what students can do with a SmartBoard. In order to internalize a vocabulary word, you have to hear it 70+ times. The lesson was less about using the technology like GarageBand but was more about learning the Hebrew words and pronouncing them correctly. They also had a chance to list things in sequential order according to the story.
They were able to write a script, listen comprehensively, collaborate a story, work with others,enhance their speaking skills and develop fluency in their target language. This was a very hands-on approach to learning vocabulary. SmartBoard made it so easy for the entire class to go up and work with each other to place the correct audio clips in the right order. This was very exciting and I would love to try something like this with my students.

Podcasting With First Grade

The more I read, the more I discover that technology really does make a huge difference in education. The children are actually EAGER to learn because everything is so hands on. Creating this podcast allowed the children to use most of their senses in ways they had never done before. Having an audience does matter because these kids wanted to see what people had to say about their hard work. They were thrilled when someone left a comment!
I am a little nervous about the podcasts but, I think after some practice I should probably have it down. I hope I will be able to do this sort of thing in my student teaching and in my classroom. I was pleased to see the skills that had been addressed were listed. Listening, speaking, presenting, comprehension, storytelling, performance, voice acting and oral fluency had all been put into use while doing this activity. Only in a day or so! That is more than I can say for writing on a chalkboard...Ms. Tolisano is onto something! This is a cool video of students getting ready for a podcast.

The Benefits of Podcasting in the Classroom

This really opened my eyes to what podcasting can really do for students. It is truly an effective way of interacting with students outside of the classroom. My favorite thing about being able to download these podcasts is that you can take these with you on an ipod. Students can plug their iPod into their parents vehicle and listen to the lectures on the way to school for review for a big test. This seems so much more engaging than trying to read through a study guide in that car or at home.
I also love the fact that children have access to the classroom without even having to be in it. An example would be Emily being sick and having to stay home. She could listen to the review session and reap the benefits even when not in class. In Mr. Dell's class, the podcasts allowed the students to become more interactive with their assignments. Several students were asked to comment on the podcasts. "It really keeps my attention" and "It makes learning fun" are just a few of the good things that the kids had to say. Very excited to get started using podcasts!! This video includes commentary on the video I shared in Podcasting With First Grade.

2 comments:

  1. Hey Emily,
    My name is Susie, and I was assigned your blog for this week. Your blog post was very easy to read; however, there were a few grammatical errors. In "podcasting with first grade," you added an extra "a" in the first sentence. In the second paragraph, you put your comma after "but" when it should have been before. You also used several fragmented sentences such as: "Like the example of Emily being sick and having to stay home." I know you are just trying to sound like you are talking, but just watch out for these errors.
    Great work!
    Susie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well done but you need working links! The practice you get in doing your own podcast will assist you in doing podcasts with your students!

    ReplyDelete