Thursday, February 9, 2012

Blog Post #3

Technology in Special Education
This video was inspiring. I am thrilled to see a classroom that uses in the way that they did. The students seemed very pleased with themselves and their teacher. Kris was the first student that appeared in the video and he had a HUGE smile on his face! "I like using my computer because it helps me talk." How exciting is that? The teacher can communicate and find out exactly what he needs when she had trouble before. I was extremely impressed.

I am becoming more and more aware of the importance of technology in the classroom. It opens new doors for our students and gives them the experience they need when they reach the "real world". Those students were excited to learn and eager to use the computers and laptops to do their assignments. EAGER to DO THEIR ASSIGNMENTS! I mean, wow! I would love to be able to use the communication technology with my special needs students. It closes a huge gap between the teacher and the learner because now, educators are able to assess their progress even better than before.

How the iPad Works for Autism
I would love to try the iPad app History:Maps of the World. I think this would be such a fantastic way to teach special needs children geography. It's a little on the fast side but it is important to try and teach them other subjects and geography can be very engaging. This app allows the user to point out states and countries as well as view ocean currents and even see the movements of the tectonic plates. Most children don't even know what those are!
I also find Keynote to be very stimulating. It allows teachers to spice up their presentations! It goes beyond using funky colors or fonts. This app includes 12 themes that dazzle notes with animation, charts, sounds, and pictures. The iPad hooks up to just about anything so it can be viewed by a large audience. This eliminates everyone crowding around the device and trying to sneak a peek.

Gary Hayes Social Media Count
These statistics were intense. I mean, who sits around and really sums up how often they use their phone, laptop, wi-fi, desktop, tablet or Ereader a day? This should be an eye opener to those not willing or ready to intertwine technology and education. They basically go hand and hand. Soon, I believe you won't be able to have one without the other because we rely so heavily on modern day tech. In 2 minutes, 5 million videos were watched on YouTube...

A Vision of Students Today
This video was surreal. I don't understand why professors/teachers sit there and lecture with no other form of presentation outside of a chalkboard. Yes, this method can work at the right time but frankly, it's medieval. We have so many stimulating technological devices and most students view the chalkboard as being outdated so it seems completely obsolete. Our world is SO fast paced! We are used to 4G network this and 16GB's of that. We need more.
I think the universities should require more from their professors. they expect more from us because we are college students. Why aren't we allowed to expect anything from them? They are the ones TEACHING the college students.

2 comments:

  1. Hey Emily,

    I am glad that you are seeing the different uses of technology in education. This is something that many teachers are not open to, and they miss so much! Don't forget to talk about your peer editing that you completed for C4C. You forget to mention that in this post.

    Good job! Be sure that you can add clickable links into your posts so it is easier for visitors to go directly to what you are blogging about.

    Stephen Akins

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also really liked the History:Maps of the World app, I think it would really help students visualize the places they are learning back. After reading your post I went back and looked at the Keynote app and it is really cool. I also like what you said about universities expecting more from professors, but I also think as college students we should want more out of our professors and our classes. Just because you have the time to check facebook in class, should you? I mean, we are the ones paying to learn. Overall, great post!

    ReplyDelete