Sunday, April 22, 2012

Creativity and Curiosity: My Thoughts- Special Post #12A

I do not believe that these schools systematically destroy or inhibit the development of curiosity and creativity. I think most schools strive to gain/maintain control and, in doing so, they crush anything that might exist from those to elements. 

Most schools think that by establishing an unbreakable, set curriculum and forcing standardized tests in every other month, they somehow can force children into a better intelligence and higher grades. By inhibiting the growth of curiosity through strict courses of study, schools are also eliminating any chance of creativity. I absolutely believe that you can create a curriculum that will increase the curiosity of students. We can give them a choice in what, or how, to study a certain subject, it will help ignite curiosity because they had a chance to choose what they're interested in. By giving them a subject and giving them two ways to approach this subject, they get to decide what they study.

For instance, you can give a classroom the option to either use a SmartBoard presentation along with an assignment involving making a video to go along with the presentation. The second option would be creating a presentation using Prezi after learning the curriculum via videos online plus supplemental info from their textbooks.

I think a teachers actions have everything to do with increasing the curiosity of students. The teacher has to want to be there. I've said time and time again that it is extremely important for the students to know that the teacher absolutely wants to help, teach, support, and guide them. If teachers jump into each lesson with everything they've got, then the children will too. Most students learn from example and if teachers become that example with an undying relentlessness, the kids will see that and follow. I know because I was once a student in grade school!

I think this class has been the key to making my ideas more creative. I think creativity has alot to do with what the kids see and experience in the outside world, i.e. technology. We have to incorporate what the students are interested in outside of school into the lesson. Of course, by that I mean doing so in a healthy way and by using things that will give them an advantage in the future.

As for how to become more curious, I am already there! Know why? Because I want to teach. Curiosity is part of that desire. So I'm all set. I will always want to know the latest techniques, programs, etc. when it comes to teaching my students. Schools have got to stop living in the stone age. Most schools seem like a form of time capsule; they're the same as 20 years ago!



Ellis is a writer from InGoodMeasure.net. She was born and raised in Colorado and seems to really know her stuff. Like me, Elli said she was often ridiculed for her inquisitiveness throughout her years in school. She stated that she learned more from asking questions and getting answers than she did from memorizing, reading or writing. I agree that we need to teach our children to NOT be satisfied with not knowing the answer to something. We must not allow them to be afraid to ask questions. Elli has a Gmail account and has a Google + profile.

1 comment:

  1. "I do not believe that these schools systematically destroy or inhibit the development of curiosity and creativity. I think most schools strive to gain/maintain control and, in doing so, they crush anything that might exist from those to elements. " What's the difference?

    " Schools have got to stop living in the stone age." Amen.

    "Most schools seem like a form of time capsule; they're the same as 20 years ago!" Mr. Winkle would change your 20 years to 100 years!

    Interesting. Thoughtful. Well written. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete