Thursday, March 1, 2012

Blog Post #6

Randy Pausch Last Lecture: Really Achieving Your Childhood Dreams

Randy Pausch is one of the most inspirational speakers I have ever had the pleasure of listening to. He is wonderful at grabbing the audiences attention, especially in this lecture. I've never seen an audience respond to someone the way they did to him. His speech lasts a little over an hour, but it's so engaging that the time is the last thing on your mind.  After the first five minutes, I grabbed a snack and buckled down because I definitely wanted to hear the rest without any interruption.

Once I settled in, I realized that Randy wasn't speaking as if this were his last speech. He barely made the speech about himself at all. He spoke of everyone else who had an influence in his life. He was full of humility and never bragged about himself. He made sure the listeners knew how wonderful these people were. Randy was full of enthusiasm and love for Carnegie Mellon and his students.

As I was listening, I couldn't help but have a smile on my face. Not only was he funny, but he spoke lightly of everything. The speech was far from morbid and the fact that he was sick never crossed my mind because he was so full of life. I think this factor makes it hard to believe that someone like this is no longer on this earth. He was passionate about virtual reality and about teaching his students using hands on methods. He even stated  that he had no patience for the book learning thing. He believed in getting down and dirty  your work and really experience what your trying to learn.

I've seen his time management speech and found it to be amazing. I learned so much  from that lecture and even more form this one. I am so sad to know that he is no longer with us, but I find comfort in knowing that he will make a difference forever with the incredible legacy that he's left behind for students everywhere. I wish I could have been an actual student of his, but I am truly thankful that I found out about him and was able to experience what he's left behind.

1 comment:

  1. It is quite clear that you watched the video and were moved by it. But you did not complete the assignment and address what he says about teaching. Here are the instructions you were to follow:

    "Think about the teaching methods he advocated and used at" Carnegie-Mellon. "Identify and comment on those techniques in a blog post of at least 4 substantive paragraphs. You MUST include a discussion which includes all of the things discussed by Dr. Pausch that you can use in your teaching. "

    ReplyDelete